Alternative Education Foundation
AEF Schools and Westham Academy
School Wellness Policy
Alternative Education Foundation recognizes that good nutrition and regular physical activity affect the health and well-being of all students. Furthermore, research suggests that there is a positive correlation between a student's health and well-being and his/her ability to learn. Moreover, schools can play an important role in the developmental process by which students establish their health and nutrition habits by providing nutritious meals and snacks through the schools' meal programs, supporting the development of good eating habits and promoting increased physical activity both in and out of school.
Alternative Education Foundation is committed to creating school environments that promote and protect the overall well-being of all students and staff. The guidelines listed below encourage a comprehensive wellness approach that is sensitive to both individual and community needs.
- Local School Wellness Policy Leadership
Alternative Education Foundation will assemble a representative wellness committee that will meet twice per year, to monitor and set goals for the development and implementation of its local school wellness policy. As required by K-20 Education Code 1003.453 the policy shall be reviewed annually and an updated copy shall be sent to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services when a change or revision is made.
- The Food Service Manager (Michelle Fein) shall ensure overall compliance with the local school wellness policy.
- Parents, students, representatives of the school food authority, teachers of physical education, school health professionals, the school board, school administrators and the general public shall be permitted to participate in the development, implementation, and periodic review and update of the local school wellness policy.
- All our Menus and Procedures will be reviewed by our Board of Directors Bi-Annually. The Board has 3 Different Physicians that are willing to review all health concerns. Our Food Service Manager has a Degree in Hotel/Restaurant Management to oversee all levels of Food Procedures and Menus.
Each school within Alternative Education Foundation will establish an ongoing Healthy School Team that will meet twice per year to ensure compliance and to facilitate the implementation of Alternative Education Foundation’s wellness policy.
- The school principal and local school staff shall have the responsibility to comply with federal and state regulations as they relate to Alternative Education Foundation wellness policy.
- In each school, the will be responsible for establishing the Healthy School Team that will ensure compliance with the policy.
- The Healthy School Team should include, but not be limited to, the following stakeholders: parents, students, school food service program representatives, school administrators, school health professionals, physical education teachers and the general public.
- The Healthy School Team is responsible for:
- Ensuring compliance with federal and state regulations for competitive food and beverage items sold on the school campus (7 CFR 210.11 and FAC 5P-1.003);
- Maintaining a school calendar identifying the dates when exempted competitive food fundraisers will occur in accordance with the frequency specified in paragraph (c) of FAC 5P-1.003;
- And reporting its school’s compliance of the aforementioned regulations to the Food Service Manager, the person responsible for ensuring overall compliance with Alternative Education Foundation’s wellness policy.